We have finally reached the end of our journey and the beginning of a new one. When we launched The Derby Post in January, our sole intention was to bring you the fans up to date information and analysis concerning the road to the greatest race in all of sports, the Kentucky Derby. Late bloomers made the field in the final months and early favorites made unfortunate exits along the way. Regardless, the field is set and the historic race will commence Saturday afternoon for the 137th consecutive time.
Dialed In was installed as the morning line favorite at 4-1 odds. Uncle Mo is the second choice at 9-2 and Nehro sits in third at 6-1. All other starters sit in double figures and to the everday handicapper, it looks to be an open field with big prices ready to light up on the board. Normally, we would offer a prediction as to how the race will play out, but with 20 horses, several front runners, several stalkers, and several closers, it is anyone’s game.
$2 million Kentucky Derby (gr. I, Race 11, 6:24 p.m.), 3YO, 1 1/4 Miles (Dirt)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, Odds
1. Archarcharch (KY), J K Court, 126, W H Fires, 10/1
2. Brilliant Speed (FL), J Rosario, 126, T Albertrani, 30/1
3. Twice the Appeal (KY), C H Borel, 126, J Bonde, 20/1
4. Stay Thirsty (KY), R A Dominguez, 126, T A Pletcher, 20/1
5. Decisive Moment (FL), K D Clark, 126, J D Arias, 30/1
6. Comma to the Top (FL), P A Valenzuela, 126, P Miller 30/1
7. Pants On Fire (KY), R Napravnik 126, K J Breen, 20/1
8. Dialed In (KY), J R Leparoux, 126, N P Zito, 4/1
9. Derby Kitten (KY), J Castellano, 126, M J Maker 30/1
10. Twinspired (KY), M E Smith, 126, M J Maker, 30/1
11. Master of Hounds (KY), G K Gomez, 126, A P O’Brien 30/1
12. Santiva (KY), 3/C LA S Bridgmohan, 126, E Kenneally, 30/1
13. Mucho Macho Man (FL), R Maragh, 126, K Ritvo, 12/1
14. Shackleford (KY), J L Castanon, 126, D L Romans 12/1
15. Midnight Interlude (KY), V Espinoza, 126, B Baffert, 10/1
16. Animal Kingdom (KY), R Albarado, 126, H G Motion, 30/1
17. Soldat (KY), A Garcia, 126, K P McLaughlin, 12/1
18. Uncle Mo (KY), J R Velazquez, 126, T A Pletcher, 9/2
19. Nehro (KY), C S Nakatani, 126, S M Asmussen, 6/1
20. Watch Me Go (FL), R Bejarano, 126, K O’Connell, 50/1
Trying to break my winless streak of 15 years, I’m betting the favorite Dialed In. He has the most proven record at 3-years old and he has run against older competition. This toughened him up and led to an impressive Florida Derby victory. He’s running sharp and Nick Zito knows how to win this race. Horses to watch: Nehro (he hasn’t won a big race this year, but he is peaking at the right time), Brilliant Speed (he’s fast and he has a stellar jockey in the irons, but can he make the transition from Polytrack to dirt), and Mucho Macho Man (6 week lay-off says no win, but records are made to be broken).
We would like to wish good luck to all racing connections and that all horses return to the backside in good health. One will be making the trip back with a blanket of roses in tow. Also, good luck to the fans. If you place a wager, we hope it is a winning one. Enjoy a mint julep, enjoy the races, and enjoy the day because there is nothing like the Kentucky Derby.
Written by Big Brink